Sunday, November 16, 2008

Football Crazy & Academics

Around here..it's football...football..and more football!

This past Friday we went to the local playoff game. I'll always be a die hard fan for the Garland Owls. Gig'em OWLS!
Next year we will have another contender in our home. Naaman Forest. I'm trying to talk my son into going to Garland...but it is all about academics too....
Because in the long run...this is his goal...

As we prepare for the rest of the middle school year, we are looking into the horizon of the last 4 years before the BIG C word. Josh has his eyes on Tech..but we want him to make sure he's got 2 or 3 others in mind too. For those of you that have children in college...how hard was it for them to make their mind up and did they get in on their first pick? Josh tells us he wants to be an orthopedic surgeon. He wants to break bones and put them back together. If he does pursue this, he'll be the first one in the family that goes beyond a 4 year school. What an accomplishment that will be! But you know how it goes....we only change our mind a hundred times before we actually finish.

OK, off to enjoy my Sunday with my family. (never figured out how to get a link of our photo gallery....so I guess I'll have to wait until I get the prints and scan.) Hope you guys have an awesome week!

3 comments:

pam said...

Here's how we did the whole college search.
1. pray
2. visit campus's of colleges with the degree programs of interest
3. train through high school with excelling in academics but also character.
It really is amazing how simple it was... God really led our girls to the college that was His fit. All the rest fell into place...with lots of prayer. I wish I could tell you the crazy stories of how God provided for our girls.

He knows already where they should go to school and what really matters as far as the school choice. It's SO EXCITING to watch them grow and mature towards their goals.

Beth E. said...

Our oldest son has always known where he wanted to attend college. He set his mind on it at an early age and we had a challenging time convincing him that he needed to apply to at least three colleges. Fortunately, he was accepted to the college of his choice.

Our youngest son is looking at various colleges online, and has gone on one college tour so far. It's an exhausting process, but worth it.

I totally agree with what grey like snuffle said, and I would like to add a #4...learn good study skills NOW. Our oldest never had to study in primary/middle/high school. He made straight A's all through school, and graduated with honors. Then he went to college and freaaked out, because he had no idea how to study! It was overwhelming for him at first. So, tell your son to practice those study skills in the years before he leaves for college!!!!

luvmy4sons said...

God is amazing how He leads. My son is in the exact right place and I never EVER thought it would happen...despite that I still fight anxiety about the son coming up next. That is the one in the picture. To answer your question he is NOT the oldest. He is my 17 year old junior. My oldest doesn't have a girlfirend that I know of! LOL!