Friday, December 4, 2009

Should Christians celebrate Christmas??

I went out to lunch with a friend of mine today, who is Jewish. I just love to sit and listen to her tell me about her faith.

Well, while I was eating my salsa n chips, she asked me " So, tell me, why do you celebrate Christmas?" I was like, umm ok, well, uh, for many reasons, one being we've always celebrated it and two, it represents Jesus's birthday. So as we continued our lunch "my wheels were spinning". We talked for a bit more then we had to depart.

So, once I got back home, I started reading some things on the internet and WOW! Why do we celebrate Christmas?? I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

I'm still looking in my Bible for scripture on Christmas or even the celebration of Jesus's birthday. I just know if HE wanted us to keep this holy, he would instruct us to do this. Afterall, certainly HE would share with His 12 disciples..right?

Funny, how watching the History channel this evening, there was a segment on Paganism.....hmmm my "wheels are still spinning on this" Please please share with me your thoughts.

2 comments:

luvmy4sons said...

This is debated in many circles. For me I see the Biblical example in the Old Testament of God instructing His children to remember and mark and celebrate those events in their history where He acted in divine intervention in their world. Passover being one example. Sure the world and the enemy likes to take our yearly celebration and make it something it should not be-a focus on the materialistic. But if in your heart you take time to stop and consider that our God of the universe took on human form and entered our world so that we would be able to see His love for us so that He could die for us...then I do not think God is displeased.

Beth E. said...

Amen! I totally agree with luvmy4sons. We do the traditional things, but we focus on the reason for celebrating...Jesus.