Friday, February 6, 2009

The Tongue

I know right...what in the world could I be talking about now?!?

Don't know if I told you are not, but we've been going to a Topical Bible Study every Thursday evening. BOY! The things I'm learning. Well, last night we talked about our tongue & it started off by this....

There are seven natural openings in the head. They all come in pairs:
Two ears
Two eyes
Two nostrils

except the mouth. We wouldn't ask for two mouths. Who are you telling?!? No way...I think enough comes out of the one mouth I have...certainly don't need two.

Words that come out of our mouth can either be a "blessing or a cursing"

The fewer words you say, the more blessed you are.

Remeber, the fruit of the tree....well our tongue is the fruit to our tree. Do you have a "fruitful tree"?

This is the one I struggle with.....let the yes be a yes and a no be a no.

For example: Did you take the dog out? No, BUT...I'm learning to stop after NO.

Did you want to come with us to lunch? Yes, BUT.....there it is again..I need to let the BUT go. So, I get to start practing this with my kids.

I'm learning the POWER of WORDS. I'm learning what comes out of our mouth predestins us and where we are going.

"When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise" Prov. 10:19

I'm learning that our tongue has ONE purpose only and that is to PRAISE GOD.


Ok, folks, off to work....hope you have a great weekend.

Oh yeah one more thing I heard the other day...

"What man cannot do, GOD can do...what man can do GOD can undo"

6 comments:

pam said...

Oh Jennifer...EXCELLENT post.

Beth E. said...

Amen! Everything you speak is the truth. :o)

Have a great weekend!

Blessings...
Beth E. :o)

luvmy4sons said...

The power of life and death are in the tongue. God is not a liar...to truly grasp this...to be a perfect man as James tells us is to be one who can control our tongue...It is a lofty and worthy goal. Not by power nor by might but by My spirit says the Lord! Through Him alone can we do this! To God be the glory!

Daphine said...

You have know idea how much I LOVED this post! Your beautiful words written have totally inspired me for something I am going through. Thanks friend!

Have a good weekend!

Susan said...

Hey Jennifer,

This was great and sooooo true!! Thanks for your insight.

I also want to thank you for stopping by the other day to wish me a Happy Birthday! You are so kind!

Hope you have a blessed week♥

Sheryl said...

Great post! I love the part about getting rid of the "but" after I say yes or no.

"The fewer words you say, the more blessed you are". WOW

Thanks for sharing this and thanks again for always encouraging me.

~Sheryl