Sunday, March 29, 2009

Thou shall not steal



I've always looked at this commandment as simply: Don't take what is not yours.
You know, the physical realm of it.

I'm learning there are other meanings to the commandment.

As Christians, we are called to safeguard property rights, pay our debts, and fulfill any obligations freely contracted.

In economic matters, respect for human dignity requires the practice of the virtues of temperance..justice and solidarity. Any unjustly taking and keeping the property of others is against the 7th commandment for example: deliberate retention of goods lent or of objects lost; business fraud; paying unjust wages; forcing up prices by taking advantage of the ignorance or hardship of another.


In the scriptures, Zacchaeus is a person who came to understand through the power of Jesus that he was to be in "right relationship" with those who were poor and share the earthly goods he had. Jesus blesses Zacchaeus for his pledge:"If I have defrauded anyone of anything, I will pay back four times as much" (Luke 19:8).

Those persons who, directly or indirectly have unjustly taken possession of the goods of another, are obliged to make restitution of them.

Did you know the 7th commandment also requires respect for all of creation?

God gives us blessings every minute of every day. When we are disobedient to Him, we are stealing from Him. When creation is destroyed, we are taking from Him.
When we "gossip" and "slander" we are stealing reputations.

As I'm reading and studying God's word and taking these baby steps in relaying the foundation in my life and family, I'm just so amazed how much God loves me, forgives me..but most of all I'm amazed at how He restores me.

3 comments:

Beth E. said...

Great insight...thanks for an awesome post!

Hope you have a great week. :o)

luvmy4sons said...

Beautiful picture by the way. And yes...there is so much that we steal every day and do not realize...Amen!

pam said...

This was wonderful...you are His beloved and He is ALWAYS waiting for you...His arms open wide....no matter what.