Saturday, November 8, 2008

So how was your week?

So glad we've come to another weekend----it's been busy around here. I just came from a blog that talked about change...and man...did I need that.

Earlier in the week, my son asked me to come into his room that he wanted to talk to me. As I sat on his bed with him, he seemed a little sad. He asked me what kids his age do when they lose a parent. Not knowing where this converstaion was headed, I didn't know quite what to say. I could feel the tears filling up my eyes at this point, and could sense much sadness his heart. He then went on to say that his good friend at school, lost his mom earlier that day and that he didn't know what to say to him, other than "I'm sorry". I told him those words are ok, and that if that is all he wanted to say, that was fine. He then asked me if I was going to die soon. Oh lordy, you can only imagine what I was starting to feel about this time. So, I started off with, we are ALL on GOD's time and we are all apart of GOD's plan. We don't know when we will go, but when we do, we need to be ready and prepared for our eternal home. We've had this conversation before, kind of-sort of. But, I think it really hit home seeing what his friend is going through. So, later on this morning, the football team will be attending the funeral for their friend, and I will be sitting in the back taking this all in.

Just another chapter of life....but oh how it hurts.

6 comments:

pam said...

WOW. It's one of those, "this sucks, but I will pray" moments. So hard to watch our kids hurting and struggling, yet oh the opportunities. I just always prayed for God to have His way in my child's life through these kinds of moments. So precious that you have the kind of relationship that he would open up to you and want to talk about it. YEAH, thanks God!

Susanne said...

Bless his little heart!! Those are tough moments, aren't they? As my daughter(oldest child) gets older, I find we are having more and more of those types of conversations. I only pray that God will give me the words, wisdom, and grace I need to get through them! Thanks for sharing this, and thanks for stopping by my blog! Have a great weekend!

Beth E. said...

You did a great job explaining everything to your son! Well done...

Praying for the little boy who lost his mom.

Tea with Tiffany said...

These are hard conversations with our kids. I hate to think about how fear can invade their sweet hearts. I hope he is feeling a lift since you talked. Those kind of talks put fear in me. I have to then give these thoughts back to God.

Van said...

Precious, transparent blog... those rich moments with our children is what being a mother is all about So glad you were available to listen to your son and teach him truth

luvmy4sons said...

It is a big growing up moment for children to go through this by observing a friend lose a parent. It is so great he comes and talks with you about it. I pray comfort and solace for all those touched by this loss.