Sunday, November 30, 2008

First Sunday of Advent


Advent officially starts December 2, but today is the first Sunday of Advent.

Growing up, I thought Advent was for Catholics, oh how I was wrong. I grew up in the Protestant church, but when I married, I converted to Roman Catholic. It's funny, when I think about it, I can remember telling my mom, "Mom please don't get mad, but I'm no longer a Christian". She asked me what I meant by that..and I replied" I'm now Catholic"...wow....what can I say?!?. Thank you Jesus for allowing me to remain a Christian :)

"The Christian church year begins with Advent (from the Latin adventus meaning coming or arrival) which is also a time when Christians prepare to celebrate the birth of Christ. Advent begins on the Sunday nearest November 30 (St. Andrew's Day) and lasts until Christmas Eve.

Advent has been celebrated since the 500's CE. For many centuries, it was a strict observance marked by penitence. Gradually, this time has become more joyful as Christ's coming is celebrated and preparations are made for his Second Coming.

Clergy typically wear royal purple or royal blue vestments during Advent. Many churches also include an advent wreath in their Advent services. The wreath consists of four candles (three purple and one rose) arranged in a circle of evergreen which symbolizes eternal life. The candles are lit progressively as follows:

First Sunday: one purple candle
Second Sunday: two purple candles
Third Sunday: two purple candles and the rose candle
Fourth Sunday: all four candles
The rose candle is also called the "Joy" candle and it comes out of the history of Advent. The Advent fast was broken on the third Sunday in anticipation of the great event to come. Often a fifth white candle will be placed in the center of the circle. This is the Christ Candle, symbolizing Christ's birth, and it is lit on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day."

3 comments:

pam said...

I grew up in a Disciples of Christ Christian Church. We always did the advent thing at our church. I kind of had to laugh about your not being a Christian anymore. We know so little about each others churches. But Jesus can be found anywhere, because NONE of us are perfect in how we play the game of Christianity. I keep thinking when we get to heaven we are going to be STUNNED at how little we knew or what we missed because of our silly thoughts about each other---like maybe we missed the main point. Hope you have a grand week with Him Jennifer!

luvmy4sons said...

I love my history of being raised in the Catholic church...12 years of parochial schools even. I am no longer a practicing Catholic. It is funny to KNOW the Catholic faith so well and yet understand the Protestant side of things too...there are a lot of errors and misunderstandings made on both sides of the other. We are all one in Christ! He is the key that holds us all together.

Beth E. said...

I love Advent season. I was raised Southern Baptist, but joined a United Methodist years after hubby and I married. I had never experienced the Advent season until then. What a blessing it is!

P.S. to "grey like snuffle". Amen, sister, amen!