Saturday, January 3, 2009

Is this even legal?

I typically would never post anything like this...BUT....I couldn't let this one go, especially with a soon to be 14 year old son. This just breaks my heart.

Comments 304| Recommend 19
15-year-old delivers Parkland's first baby of 2009

01:33 PM CST on Thursday, January 1, 2009

By MICHAEL A. LINDENBERGER / The Dallas Morning News

Dallas’ Parkland Memorial Hospital didn’t have to wait long to welcome the first baby of 2009 — a baby boy named Justin Daniel Ramirez arrived at 12:16 a.m.

Justin’s mom, a 15-year-old Dallas eighth-grader named Fernanda Rios, couldn’t stop smiling as she cradled her new son in her arms Thursday morning. “I was nervous at first about what my mom would say, but I told her I would try my best and she said okay,” Fernanda said.

Fernanda said she lives with her boyfriend, a 20-year-old construction worker, at her mom’s place, and said she plans to continue schooling as soon as her maternity leave is over. “I told the office that I was pregnant and they are going to home school me for six weeks,” she said. Teachers will come to her home two or three times a week during that period.

“I have a lot of confidence,” she said, “and my mom and my cousin are going to help me raise him.”

Justin was born 18-and-a-half inches, and once he leaves the hospital he’ll get a baby room painted white with Winnie the Pooh on the walls, Fernanda said.

6 comments:

pam said...

Oh glory. When our youngest started high school (first time in the public schools here) she came home telling me that she met a girl who had a baby during her 8th grade year. And then during the girls Soph. year she was trying to have another one with a different boy. Just makes me so sad. CRAZY world!

Beth E. said...

Shouldn't the 20 yr. old "boyfriend" be ARRESTED???!

Daphine said...

In every way, it is! This saddens me to no end! WOW! WOW! and WOW!

luvmy4sons said...

Hmmm..I am sure there is more to the story than we know. I am glad she chose not to abort her baby. That takes courage. I am impressed she plans on continuing her education. That takes determination and strength. It would seem she might not have had the best of guidance and direction in her life...or maybe she did but chose not to heed it. It would appear though that the mother of the young girl is not pressing charges...and I think that if the parents choose not to press charges nothing can be done-as far as the 20 year old goes. It makes me realize that so many in this wolrd live without the wisdom and knowledge that God has in His Word. They have lives that are so very, very different than anything I would eer imagine-parents that were not taught well themselves and generations of habits that continue on. Yet within all of that they are just sinners saved by grace through faith like me. May god lead and direct through this blessing and trial and keep that precious baby...may they all come to know the saving grace of Jesus Christ...if they don't already.

pam said...

I've missed seeing you post, hope all is well in your world!

michele said...

Happened upon your blog... oh that story is sad. What a journey, what a hard road ahead for such a young girl... taking on the very challenging role of being a mom! May God give this family wisdom.